HMCTS now issues an operating update every week.
“From Friday 24 April 2020 are issuing weekly updates on our operational position and we’ll email our subscribers each Sunday evening with a reminder. On Monday mornings we’ll also publish a link to the weekly update on Twitter.
You can see our previously issued daily operational updates.
Follow us on @HMCTSgovuk to also check for daily or urgent updates.
We’ll keep this under review.
Next week’s update will be issued on Thursday 7 May 2020 due to the Bank Holiday on Friday 8 May 2020.
- We have many online court and tribunal services available to professional users and members of the public. These remove the need to contact us by phone, email or post.
- We’re consolidating the work of courts and tribunals into fewer buildings. Some building are open to the public, some buildings are staffed but are not open to the public, and some buildings are temporarily closed. The list was updated 23 April 2020
- Where courts and tribunals are closed, we’ll contact parties directly to confirm new hearing arrangements. We’ll contact those parties whose hearings were scheduled to happen first, and work our way through the list as quickly as possible. Please be patient while we do this, and avoid making contact if you can.
- The Kinly Cloud Video Platform (CVP) is initially being rolled out to 60 magistrates’ courts and 48 crown courts currently open to the public, with others to follow as soon as possible. It is also being introduced to the Civil and Family courts. Please see our updated telephone and video hearings during coronavirus outbreak and a guide on how to join a telephone and video hearing
- We’re continuing to avoid physical hearings and arranging remote hearings wherever possible. Anyone who requires technical support for a telephone or video hearing can call 0330 8089405
- Our Courts and Tribunals Service Centres will be available from 8am to 5pm Monday to Thursday and 8am to 4pm on Fridays until further notice.
- Our South East region will only be taking calls between 10am to 2pm in all jurisdictions (with the exceptions on the next line)
- Chelmsford, Norwich, Ipswich and Basildon Crown Courts are temporarily unable to answer calls. The recorded message will advise you what to do
- We’ve introduced temporary new hours in our Scotland contact centre.
- There are no Jury trials currently underway
- Crown Courts are dealing with a range of work, much of which is being done remotely. This includes sentencing hearings and all urgent applications including applications for bail and applications to extend custody time limits. Pre-trial preparation hearings and further case management hearings are also taking place
- Magistrates’ courts are covering urgent work, custody trials, and police traffic prosecution cases, which are being with remotely under the Single Justice Procedure. Other trials, particularly for domestic abuse, are being listed for hearing following rigorous case management by judges and legal advisers.note of listing in magistrates’ courts during coronavirus outbreak . The Judiciary have published a
- We are making plans to start high priority sentencing cases, particularly for domestic abuse offences, and DVPOs
- All questions about paying an outstanding criminal court fine should be sent to our National Compliance and Enforcement Service at NCESBCT@justice.gov.uk or call 0300 123 9252
- Family courts business priorities.
- Family court C100 (child arrangements) guidance.
- 2-week rapid consultation on remote hearings in Family Court launched by Judiciary
- Guidance on replacement of affidavits with statements of truth in non-contentious probate processes
- Civil court listing priorities.
- Various user help guides published: Administrative Appeals Chamber, Employment Tribunals, General Regulatory Chamber, Health, Education and Social Care Chamber (First-Tier Tribunal): Special Education Needs & Disability, Care Standards and Primary Health Lists, Health, Education and Social Care Chamber (First-Tier Tribunal): Mental Health, Immigration and Asylum Chamber, Lands Chamber, Property Chamber, Tax and Chancery Chamber (Upper Tier), Tax Chamber First Tier and War Pensions and Armed Forces Compensation Chamber, Property Chamber
- Payment of fees to the Lands Chamber, Payment of application and hearing fees to the Property Chamber,
- First tier tax tribunal operational update
- Property and General Regulatory Chamber operational updates
- The Judiciary have published a frequently asked questions document on Employment Tribunals during the coronavirus for parties who are representing themselves and professional representatives
- Mental Health Tribunal telephone hearing guidance.
- First Tier Immigration and Asylum Tribunal operational update.
- Upper Tier Immigration and Asylum Tribunal operational update.
Royal Courts of Justice
- The Royal Courts of Justice Operational Update: .
- The High Court is covering work according to the High Court Contingency Plan. More detailed guidance for the Administrative Court Office. More detailed guidance for the Queen’s Bench.
- The Court of Appeal Civil Division is covering work according to the RCJ Court of Appeal Civil urgent business priorities. .
- The Court of Appeal Criminal Division is covering work according to the RCJ Court of Appeal Criminal Emergency Plan. .
- The Royal Courts of Justice Fees Office has temporarily closed.